Late Spring Success
Late Spring Fishing Adventures Across Northern Utah
Late spring is one of my favorite times to fish in Utah. The lakes and rivers are coming alive, every trip offers something different, and it's the perfect time to get outdoors with family and friends. Over the past several weeks, I've had the opportunity to fish a variety of waters across Northern Utah, with each trip adding another memorable story.
One of my first outings took me to the Blacksmith Fork River in search of brown trout. The Blacksmith Fork has a well-known overpopulation of smaller brown trout, and Utah's regulations encourage anglers to harvest some fish to improve the overall fishery. The trout were feeding well, and after a successful morning I brought a couple home for dinner. It was a rewarding reminder that responsible harvest can play an important role in fisheries management while also putting fresh food on the table.
Utah's Free Fishing Day brought one of my favorite memories of the year. I took my daughter to Utah Lake, and before I could even get my camera set up or my own line in the water, she was already hooked up with her very first fish. We ended up catching four bullhead catfish, which later became homemade catfish nuggets. The bugs were everywhere, but they couldn't take away from the excitement of watching her catch her first fish.
Not long after, we headed to Cutler Reservoir for another family fishing adventure. Sarah stole the show by landing an impressive 18-inch carp while we also caught catfish throughout the day. Those trips remind me that fishing isn't always about catching the biggest fish—it's about spending time together, making memories, and passing along a love for the outdoors.
I also spent an evening exploring the Little Bear River, part of the Bear River system. I was hoping to connect with channel catfish and carp, but the bullheads had other plans. While they weren't my target species, the action was steady and it was another opportunity to learn more about one of the waters eligible for the 3rd Annual Cache Cats Tournament coming up on August 14–15. Every trip on the Bear River system helps me better understand these fisheries while preparing for tournament season.
One of the more exciting opportunities this spring was helping test the new Sakana Urchin. While shore fishing at Newton Reservoir, I tied one on and quickly hooked into a bass. It's always exciting to help field-test a bait before it's released and then watch it do exactly what it was designed to do. Experiences like that make me appreciate the work that goes into developing quality fishing tackle.
Looking back over these trips, what stands out isn't any one fish. It's the variety of experiences. From trout streams and family fishing trips to bullheads, carp, catfish, and bass, every outing offered something different. That's one of the things I love most about fishing in Utah—there's always another adventure waiting just down the road.
As summer continues, I'm looking forward to spending even more time on the water, creating new memories with family, and preparing for the 3rd Annual Cache Cats Tournament. Whether I'm chasing trout, bass, catfish, carp, or panfish, the goal remains the same: enjoy the outdoors, learn something new, and share those adventures with all of you.
Thank you for following along with Outdoors with Andrew. Every video watched, blog read, comment, and share helps me continue growing this community. I appreciate your support, and I'll see you on the water.
Comments
Post a Comment